Although many people believe that it is impossible to change a proprietor’s name once GST registration has been obtained. But that is not the case. The GST portal offers the option to modify the proprietor’s name.
Amendments in Goods and Services Tax (GST) registration are required in cases where wrong information is updated in the GST Portal.
In this article, we will look at How to change the Proprietor name in GST?
Changes in registration details are categorized into two types:
|Core fields (Approval Required)||Non-Core fields (No Approval Required)|
|Name of the Business(Legal Name) if there is no change in PAN||All the other fields of the registration application except the following:legal name of the business,Addition/ deletion of stakeholder detailsPrincipal place of businessAdditional place of business.|
|Addition / Deletion of Stakeholders|
|Principal Place of Business (other than a change in State)|
|Additional Place of Business (other than a change in State)|
If a change in a business’s legal name is required, the amendment is possible; there is no need to cancel the registration. By filing Form GST REG-14 within 15 days, changes can be made to the business name.
Only the following category of taxpayers, registered under GST, can file the amendment of registration application:
- New Registrants & Normal Taxpayers
- TDS/ TCS Registrants, UN Bodies, Embassies & Other, Notified person having UIN
- Non-Resident Taxable Person
- GST Practitioner
- Online Details and Database Access or Retrieval Service Provider
Follow the below steps to change the proprietor name:
- Login into GST portal and fill the login details.
2. Follow this path– Services→ Registration→ Amendment of Registration of Core Fields
3. Now, under the Business Details tab, click on the edit symbol adjacent to the Legal name of the business.
4. Click on the Save button.
5. Then, press the Continue button.
Which Are Supporting Documents for Trade Names in GST for Proprietorship?
GST documents for Sole proprietorship are:
- Owner Aadhar card
- Owner PAN card
- Digital Sign
- Proof of address
- Bank account details
How Do I Check My ARN Status?
When a GST registration application is submitted to the GST portal, an Application Reference Number (ARN) is generated. Please follow the below steps to check the GST ARN status:
- After login into GST portal, click on Track Application Status under Services in the main menu.
2. Enter ARN Number and fill the correct CAPTCHA.
3. View the Status of ARN.
Can We Change Proprietor Name in Bank Account?
Yes, you can change the proprietor name in bank account. By doing so, it will automatically reflect in your bank’s chequebook, passbook, debit cards, forex cards, etc.
Most importantly, you have to provide the relevant documentation to support your name change.
How Do I Change My Proprietorship from Father to Son in GST?
If you want to change proprietor from father to son, then the legal heir (son) has to submit the following to the jurisdictional GST officer as documentary evidence:
- Will/ testament.
- Certified copy of the death certificate of the father.
- Succession Certificate.
- No obligation certificate from the other successors/heirs along with the affidavit.
- Lineage list certificate.
- Relinquishment deed (if required)
- Gift deed (if required)
Can I Take GST on an Individual Name?
Yes, GST can be registered under the individual name. Individuals who are carrying out business activity anywhere in India are required to have GST individual registration.
Simply by visiting the GST portal, you can get the GST number by registering yourself.
A valid email address, mobile number, and PAN of the business are mandatory to apply for the process.
Who Controls Sole Proprietorship?
A sole proprietor is the single owner of the business and is responsible for every activity of the business. Benefits of a sole proprietorship are:
- Less compliance
- Control of the business
- Quick decision-making
- No dispute
How to Change Contact Details in GST Portal?
Log in to the GST portal
Go to Services > Registration > Amendment of Registration Non-core Fields.
Click ‘Promoters/ Partners’ > ‘Edit’ next to the authorised signatory.
Change your phone number and Email address and ‘save’.
Enter the OTP to change your mobile number >‘Verification’.
Check the declaration box after and submit the form with DSC/E-signature/EVC.
You will receive an ARN number to track the application status. After you receive the notification ‘Changes Approved’ your mobile number has been changed.
How to Change Principal Place of Business in GST?
Follow the below steps to change principal place of business in GST-
- Log in to GST Portal
- Go to Services > Click on Registration
- Edit button > select the field to alter
- Click Amendment of Registration Core Fields
- Select ‘Principal Place of Business or ‘Additional Place of Business
- Enter a reason for the change and Confirm the same
- Fill out form REG-14 to change your address.
- Select an authorized signatory, enter a location, and sign the application using DSC, E-sign, or EVC.
A success message appears on the screen, and a copy of the acknowledgment is sent to the registered email and mobile phone.
FAQ: How to Change the Proprietor Name in GST?
Can we add 2 trade names in GST?
Yes, with the same PAN, a GST taxpayer can operate two different businesses under two different trade names in the same state.
Can you have 2 names on a sole proprietorship?
No, only one name can be registered under sole proprietorship. Unlike corporations, sole proprietorships are unincorporated and owned and operated by one person.
What is the legal name of the business in GST?
For GST purposes, the Legal Name of the Business is the name that appears on all the official documents for the trade name.
How do I rename my business?
You need to file the Articles of Amendment with your state, to change the name of the business. Prior to filing the AOA, you must re brand and rename your organization.
Furthermore, once the Articles of Amendment are approved, you can start operating under the new name.
Now, we hope all your doubts related to How to change the Proprietor name in GST? are answered. In case of any further queries, feel free to comment in the comments section below.
GST exemption products – InstaFiling