To create limitless opportunities for businesses in India, the Indian government needs to get tax returns from taxpayers. The business firms must register on the GST portal to pay the Goods and Services Tax (GST), on their earnings.
The online system allows taxpayers to access many functions from the comfort of their own homes. If you are struggling with how to check GST application status then this in-depth article will provide you with more information on GST status.
What Is GST Application Status?
GST application status on the GST portal helps taxpayers track the status of their GST registration application.
While filing an application for registration on the GST portal, on successful submission of the application, the taxpayer gets an auto-generated Application Reference Number (ARN).
This Application Reference Number (ARN) assists in checking the status of the GST registration process.
What Is Meant by ARN Number?
ARN stands for Application Reference Number.
The process of GST registration takes an estimated time of 15 days (may take longer depending the documents submitted and reviewed by the Officials). The ARN helps to track the status until the taxpayer gets the Goods and Services Tax Identification Number (GSTIN).
How Can I Check the Status of My GST Application on the GST Portal?
It is quite easy to keep track of the status of your GST application. Let’s dive into the steps for how you can check the GST application status. To check the status, a taxpayer can track the application in these three ways. Let’s explore the steps below:
Method 1. Track the GST status before login
Here are the steps to track your status without logging into the official GST portal.
1: Go to the official GST portal and click on the Service tab.
2: Next, hover over the “Registration” tab. Tap on “Track Application Status” from the drop-down menu.
3: Track your GST status using the ARN or SRN.
4: Select the ARN or SRN option. Type the ARN or SRN according to your preference. Next, input the captcha code below.
5: Click on “Search,” and now you will learn about your GST status.
Method 2. Track the GST status after login
You can check your GST status after logging into the GST portal. This gives a more detailed view of the developments in the GST application. Here are the steps to follow:
1: Visit the GST portal and log in to your account.
2: Click on Service → Registration → Track Application Status
3: Now choose one of the options: ARN/SRN/Submission Period
4: Tap on the Search button.
Method 3. Track the GST status using TRN
TRN refers to the Temporary Reference Number. TRN assists the entity once the new user has registered on the GST portal.
1: Go to the GST portal. Navigate to Service → Registration → New Registration.
2: Choose the TRN option and type the TRN you received.
3: Next, tap on Proceed.
4: You will see the ‘Verify OTP Page’.
5: Enter the OTP. Click on Proceed.
- The OTP will be valid for only 10 minutes
- If the OTP is invalid, tap on ‘Click here to resend the OTP’ to get the OTP again. Once more, you will get the OTP again to your registered email address or mobile number. Now retype the OTP you just got.
The following statuses will appear after searching.
- Pending for Processing: The GST application was successfully submitted. Pending processing with the tax officer.
- Pending for Clarification: Officer issues a request for clarification. Within seven working days of the notice date, submit clarifications on the portal.
- Clarification filed-Pending for Order: The applicant successfully filed a clarification. The order is pending with the tax officer.
- Clarification not filed-Pending for Order: The applicant did not submit a clarification. With the tax officer pending for rejection.
- Approved: The tax officer approved the application. The applicant received an email with their login information.
- Rejected: The tax officer rejected the application.
- Withdrawn: The applicant/taxpayer withdraws the application.
How to Check Company Details with GST Number?
Steps to check company details with GST number:
- Go to GST Portal
- Click on ‘Search Taxpayers’
- Click on Search by ‘GSTIN/UIN’
- Enter the GST Number mentioned on the invoice
- Enter the captcha and click on ‘Search’.
If your GSTIN is correct, you can find the following details:
- The legal name of the business
- Principal Place of Business
- Additional Place of Business
- State Jurisdiction
- Centre Jurisdiction
- Registration Date
- Constitution of business – company, sole proprietor, or partnership
- Type– regular taxpayer or composition dealer
- GSTIN status / UIN status
- Date of Cancellation (if applicable)
How to Check GST Filing Status?
Steps to check GST return filing status:
- Visit the GST portal.
- Enter the login credentials.
- Click Service >> Returns >> Track Return Status.
- Select the ‘Status of Return’.
- Click ‘Search to view the return status’ (To be Filed, Filed –Valid, Filed – Invalid, etc.)
You can check the return status of any person. All you need is his or her GSTIN.
What Is the Difference between ARN and TRN?
A Temporary Reference Number (TRN) is a unique 15-digit number generated after submitting the new user registration application.
The TRN is valid for 15 days only. After the TRN is generated, you can use it to access your new registration application form on the GST Portal. You can use the TRN to access the portal.
ARN or Application Reference Number, is generated after the successful submission of the GST registration application. ARN is used to track the status of the submitted GST registration application.
How Can I Get GST Number from SRN?
The government, with its agenda of simplifying processes, has given an option for new companies and LLPs to register for GST together with their company registration or LLP registration.
When a company or LLP registers on the Ministry of Corporate Affairs portal for the company or LLP registration, they receive a Service Request Number or SRN.
The taxpayer will get this unique number after they submit the registration application on the MCA portal.
This SRN helps to track the application status of your GST registration on the GST portal.
After selecting the SRN option, you can get the status of your application by following the steps.
- Enter the Service Request Number (SRN)
- Now enter the Captcha Code and Click on ‘Search’.
- You will see Result based on SRN.
What Do I Do If I Don’t Receive My GST Number?
After application submission, if you have not received your GST registration certificate, check the GST Portal using your application reference number to see if the GST Officer has posted any queries.
For extra help, you can also get in touch with the GST helpline.
How Do I Know If My GST Application Is Rejected?
You can check GST registration rejection using the ARN.
Step 1: Visit the GST portal.
Step 2: Now click on Service → Registration → Track Application Status. Check the status using ARN.
Step 3: Here you can see the reason for the rejection of the GST application.
FAQs:How To Check GST Application Status
1. How long does it take to get an ARN number?
After the successful filing of the GST registration application on the GST portal, you will get an Application Reference Number (ARN) immediately.
2. Is the ARN and GST number the same?
No, the ARN and GST numbers are different. ARN is a reference number to track the GST application status. The GST number, or GSTIN, verifies a company so that taxpayers to file their taxes through it.
3. How long will it take for GST approval?
After the successful submission of the application with proper documents, it generally takes three to five working days for the authorities to approve the GST.
4. Why is my GST application still pending for processing?
After the submission of a new registration application, the Tax Officer’s review is pending. That’s why the GST application status shows Pending for processing.
We hope this article has answered all of your questions about how to check the status of a GST application. For more information about GST, check out our website, InstaFiling.
We are always happy to assist you with more valuable information. Please leave any questions in the comments section, and feel free to contact our expert team via phone or WhatsApp.
How To Track GST Refund Status (Complete Guide)