The registration and cancellation procedures are a major source of frustration for many. It is obvious that there are a number of processes involved, and skipping any one of them requires starting the process over from scratch.
GST Cancellation happens when a person’s business is discontinued, Or it could be due to other scenarios when office regulations weren’t followed.
However, cancelling GST is not a rocket-science. But, a minor error can end up costing you valuable time and money. After this step, you can easily check the cancellation status. Therefore, to resolve your query, we wrote a detailed article on “How to check GST cancellation status.”
We have gone through every single detail pertaining to the revocation of GST registration. In order to avoid missing out on any important information, we suggest you thoroughly read every section of the article.
How to Check GST Cancellation Status?
After filing for GST cancellation, you can track the status on the GST portal. Let’s explore how you can check GST cancellation status.
Step 1: First go to the GST portal and log in with your valid credentials.
Step 2: Next tap on the Service tab. Here, under the Registration drop-down menu, choose the ‘Track Application Status’ option.
Step 3: Select the ‘Submission period’ option and enter the ‘FROM’ and ‘TO’ dates of the application.
Step 4: Tap into the Search button to see the GST cancellation status.
Which are GST registration cancellation forms?
In India, there are various forms for cancelling GST registration. Each of them serves a distinct function.
|FORM GST REG-16||Voluntary cancellation by the registered user|
|FORM GST REG-17||Show-cause notice by the tax officials|
|FORM GST REG-18||Taxpayer Response to Notice|
|FORM GST REG-19||Dissolution order|
|FORM GST REG-20||To stop the GST cancellation process|
|FORM GST REG-21||Application to revoke cancellation of GST registration|
|FORM GST REG-22||Order to revoke cancellation of GST registration|
What are the documents required for GST cancellation?
The documents needed for GST cancellation are as follows:
- Your Contact address, including the registered phone number and email address.
- The reasons for cancellation of GST registration
- The GSTIN of the business which is cancelled
- Information about any unpaid GST liabilities, fines, penalties, etc.
- Information on any GST payments made against this liability, as well as information on input tax credits.
- Details on stock-held inputs or inputs contained in semi-finished or finished goods held in stock.
What are GST Cancellation reasons?
A central tax authority or business owner may revoke a GST registration for the following reasons:
The individual is registered under one of the previous tax laws: Some businesses registered under the old tax regime are not eligible for GST registration. For example, the VAT threshold is INR 100,000 and the GST threshold is INR 40,000. Therefore, the VAT registrant is not responsible for GST registration.
Discontinuation of business: If the company goes out of business, the owner can file a request to cancel GST registration. You can also cancel in the following cases.
- When one business unit merges with another business unit.
- Transfer of part or all of the business for any reason, including the owner’s death.
- Change in a corporate structure.
- When the registrant is no longer required to fall under the GST scheme. This does not include persons voluntarily registered under Section 25(3) of the CGST Act.
- When a GST Compositions Scheme registrant fails to file a tax return for three consecutive months.
- If an individual does not comply with GST laws and regulations, GST will be revoked under the GST laws.
- If a registrant has not filed her GST return for six months.
- If an individual voluntarily registers a business under Section 25(3) of CGST and does not incorporate within six months of the date of registration.
- GST registration is obtained by fraud, misrepresentation, or concealment of fact.
How do I know if my GST registration is canceled?
To know about the cancellation of your GST registration, you can track the GST cancellation status with the following steps:
- Log in to the official GST portal.
- Click on Services → Track Application Status.
- Under the Module section, choose the Registration option and enter the ARN.
- Click on the Search button to see the status of the application.
Who can File for GST Registration Cancellation in India?
The following persons can apply to cancel their GST registration in India:
- Existing taxpayer
- Immigration taxpayers with an approved registration application
- Expatriate taxpayers who did not complete the form after completing the application for enrolment
- Individuals who have a unique identification number or who are registered as tax deductors persons/tax collectors cannot apply for GST cancellation.
How to download GST cancellation certificate?
Follow the steps below to download the GST certificate issued by the GST tax authority.
- Visit the GST Portal.
- Enter your login credentials
- Click Services >> User Services >> View/Download Certificate option.
These are the easy steps to download your GST Registration Certificate in PDF format.
What is Suo moto cancellation?
Suo moto cancellation refers to the tax officer’s decision to cancel a GST registration on his authority.
The CGST Act’s Section 29(2) requirements, however, the officer must specify why he is undertaking this Suo moto cancellation of registration.
How to check suo moto cancellation in GST?
Go to Services >> User Services >> View Notices and Orders to view the Show Cause Notice for Suo Moto Cancellation of Registration.
How to check GST registration rejection reason?
Steps to check GST registration rejection reasons:
- Open GST portal
- Click on track application status
- Click ‘module’ >>registration
- Enter ARN with captcha
- The case summary page is displayed
What if GST returns are not been filed for 6 months?
Your GST registration may be canceled if your GST returns have not been filed for six months or more.
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs):-
1. How long does GST cancellation take?
The GST cancellation normally takes 30 days, after you submit your GST registration application.
2. Can you activate the canceled GST after 90 days?
No, if you are a registered taxable person, you have 30 days from the date of the order to get the order dropped and request the activation of your GST registration.
3. How do I download the GST cancellation certificate?
You can download the GST cancellation certification online using the GST Portal.
4. How do I know if I need to cancel my GST registration?
If your GST registration is likely to be revoked by order, the GST authority must send you a notice of the reasons and provide a reasonable response within 7 days.
5. How do I know if my GST registration may be cancelled?
If your response to the notice of reasons for issuance is inadequate, the GST department will send the order on FORM GST REG-19 stating the reasons for the withdrawal of GST from the order.
We hope that with the help of this article, you can easily check the GST cancellation status.
To get more information about other GST topics, visit our website, InstaFiling. For further queries, Call/WhatsApp our expert team.
How To Check GST Application Status Using TRN (Practical Method)