Tax Invoice GST Bill Format (2023 Guide)
The invoice or GST bill is a list of goods sent or services provided, as well as the amount due for payment. Here are a few important points:
- Invoices for GST or tax are commercial documents issued by sellers to buyers.
- GST invoices are required for all taxable supplies of goods and services by GST-registered entities.
- GST-registered businesses must provide GST-compliant invoices to their clients for the sale of goods and/or services.
- Upon payment of the invoice by the entity, the invoice shall serve as a legal document proving ownership of the property purchased.
In this article, you will get the comprehensive information on Tax invoice GST bill format in detail.
Let’s dive in!
In general, a tax invoice is used to charge the tax and to pass on the input tax credit. It is mandatory to have the following fields in a GST Invoice:
- Invoice number and date
- Customer name
- Shipping and billing address
- Customer and taxpayer’s GSTIN (if registered)**
- Place of supply
- HSN code/ SAC code
- Item details i.e. description, quantity, unit, total value
- Taxable value and discounts
- Rate and amount of taxes (CGST/ SGST/ IGST)
- Whether GST is payable on reverse-charge basis
- Signature of the supplier
In case non-registered recipient with value more than Rs. 50,000 then the invoice should have:
- name and address of the recipient
- address of delivery
- state name and state code
What is the format of GST invoice?
Basically, every invoice follows the same standard format. In order to be categorized as an official payment request, it must contain certain sections. The invoice format must include:
- Your business name and contact details
- Your customer’s name and contact details
- The label Invoice
- A unique invoice number
- The invoice date and date of supply
- A description of the goods or services and their prices
- VAT (if applicable)
- Subtotals and totals
Also, a unique invoice number is allotted to each invoice. It should be sequential and must have numbers and code.
In case of supply of goods, all GST invoices must be prepared in triplicate in case of supply of goods.
- Original copy for Recipient.
- Duplicate copy for Transporter.
- Triplicate copy for Supplier.
In case of supply of services, only two copies of GST invoices are prepared.
Tax invoice GST bill format
What is GST invoice serial number format?
The format of GST invoice serial number:
- The invoice number must consist of alphanumeric characters.
- GST invoices must be consecutively numbered.
- GST invoices require a serial number of up to 16 digits.
How can I make invoice for GST bill?
You can create GST bill by using different software programs. Here we are creating bill on Ledgers. You just need to follow the below steps:
- From the top menu, click on Create Invoice.
- Select the Invoice Date and Payment Due Date.
- Go to customer menu and select Customer and in case of new, click on Add customer.
- Verify the Place of Supply.
- From the drop-down list, select the Goods or Services Supplied.
- Click to update Additional Information.
- Select the option to create GST Bill.
What is a GST bill with example?
A bill or receipt of items sent or services that a seller or service provider offers to a customer is a GST invoice. Have a look at a GST invoice:
|Company Name: GSTIN:||Address:|
|Billing Address:||Shipping Address:|
|Serial No.||Item Desc.||HSN||Qty.||Per Item Rate||Total||Discount||Taxable Amt||CGST(9%)||SGST(9%)|
|1||X||4||Rs. 40||Rs. 200||–||Rs. 200||Rs. 18||Rs. 18|
|2||Y||6||Rs. 25||Rs. 175||–||Rs. 175||Rs. 15.75||Rs. 15.75|
|Total||Rs. 375||Rs. 375||Rs. 33.75||Rs. 33.75|
|Tax Invoice Value (in figures)||Rs. 442|
|Tax Amount Subject to Reverse Charges|
What are the three types of invoice?
GST invoice is issued by taxable person while supplying goods and services. There are different types of GST invoice:
- B2B Invoice– Name, address and GSTIN or UIN of the customer must be mandatorily mentioned.
- B2C Large Invoice– In B2C, the value of taxable supply is more than Rs.50,000, the name and address of the recipient must be mentioned along with address of delivery and place of supply.
- B2C Invoices– It contains invoice date, value of supply, amount of tax applicable, GST rate applicable and HSN code or SAC code of the goods supplied.
How is an invoice written?
To write your first invoice, follow these steps:
- Firstly, personalize the invoice to reflect your business.
- All the necessary customer information needs to be filled.
- Assign the terms, and you need to fill the due date.
- Explain it well, what the invoice is for.
- Most importantly, include remittance information or a link to pay online.
FAQ: Tax invoice GST bill format
Can I create my own invoice?
Yes, you can create your own invoice using Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel or Google Docs.
How many digits is a GST invoice?
A maximum of 16 characters can be included in a GST invoice. It may include alphabets or numerals or special characters – hyphen or dash and slash symbolized as “-” and “/” respectively.
Is tax invoice a receipt?
No, tax invoice is not a receipt. Tax invoice contains details like description, quantity, value of goods/service, tax charged thereon and other particulars as may be prescribed.
However, receipt is a proof of payment.
Can GST invoice handwritten?
Yes, a handwritten invoice is also legally valid if it signed by both the parties and they agree to the contract terms.
Hope the detailed information which we have covered on Tax invoice GST bill format, will be able to solve all your queries.
Still, if you face any doubt, feel free to contact.
Request A Callback
You may Also Call Us At+91 76790 91881